Login
Topic: How to Build an Effective Estimate |

Forum Forums Creating Your First Estimate How to Build an Effective Estimate

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Blake Rutgers Blake Rutgers 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Allison Gardner
    Participant

To build an effective estimate using Quick FPA, what necessary information do I need to gather?

Blake Rutgers
    Blake Rutgers
    Participant

Before building your effort estimation you want to determine the size of the project. This can be determined by function points or lines of code. I find defining the size by function points to be the best method.

Your function points are going to be your use cases ie. your user actions in which you will need to define. In defining your use cases, you will need to know the input and the output, any validations or additional logic and any dependencies. You will also want to know your test environments.

Once you have this information, you should be in a decent spot to start building your estimate with Quick FPA. Quick FPA will take this information and ask additional questions such as what is the implementation platform you are using, what kind of set up will be needed, what implementation type does your use case fit into, how is the effort distributed between your input and output and is there any additional complexity or reuse factors we need to consider. It is easy to use once you jump in there and use it.

James Carlisle
    James Carlisle
    Participant

To build an effective estimate I tend to use a top down approach. I start with high level functionality and get only as granular as I need to. I also will prioritize my features by identifying which are ‘required’ and which are ‘nice to haves’.

Allison Gardner
    Allison Gardner
    Participant

Ok thank you for the information. Blake – Can you further explain the implementation platforms to me?

Blake Rutgers
    Blake Rutgers
    Participant

If you go to the forum called “Estimation Setup” there is a topic on there for implementation platforms to better explain.

There is also pre-built implementation platforms with implementation types to use if you want or you can create your own.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.